Sends us your email and ideas

We have more than 300 emails for camp alumni, but over the last couple of years some of you have moved or changed your email accounts.

Please send your new email and emails of other alumni to campstephensalumni@gmail.com so that we can update our list of camp alumni.

If you have an idea for a blog entry or wish to contribute other material like letters, recipes, diary entries, trip maps. . .send them my way.

If any links are broken, please tell me.

And don't be bashful. It's OK to comment. Really. It's OK.


Sunday, November 21, 2010

"A Living Tradition"

"I'll be going down to camp as long I am able to carry on."

This was written sometime in the early 1950s. Davey's last summer at camp was 1961. I believe this article appeared in the Winnipeg Free Press. The reporter, Clell Bryant, would later be posted at the London bureau of the Montreal Gazette and later become the editor of Time Canada.

Bryant's story refers to Davey's 1947 trip paid for by some of his "boys". I've posted another newspaper article (I Write What I See) that details that trip.


Below is a second article by Bryant he wrote in July 1951 after a visit to Camp Stephens.

"High point of the season is Little Chief's Day, when most of the staff leaves the island and the boys run the camp."


2 comments:

  1. Bruce, I have done some family history research at the Archives in Ottawa. I managed to find Davey's Attestation Paper online: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?id_nbr=345163

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Don. I have my great uncle's Attestation Papers so I'm famiilar with that what they're all about. I'll post them ASAP. Cheers, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete